interesting past 4 hours...

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 19:08:33 PDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
>         This is to anybody with Gnome or KDE insights,
>
>         First, both environments do work on my 400Mhz ThinkPad
>         (with almost 300M/SDRAM).  KDE has a nicer feel for my tastes
>         but the response in beyond crummy even with nearly all
>         eye-candy.

Did you mean to say with all eye-candy disabled?... Have you checked out XFCE?

Intro to XFCE:
http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=overview&lang=en

Here are some flash based demos:
http://www.xfce.org/various/flash_demos.html

The XFCE meta port is in x11-wm/xfce4 and don't forget about all the
plugins: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=XFCE&stype=all

After you install the XFCE meta port type in rehash and then
startxfce4, if you like it and want to keep it as your default desktop
environment type in "echo "/usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc".
the FreeBSD handbook as a bit about XFCE in section 5.7.4
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

I use KDE on my fast systems and XFCE on the slow ones.