FireFox/Mozilla and CUPS/LPD weirdness

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Sun Oct 9 12:58:11 PDT 2005

Hello.
I reported problems with printing from Firefox and Mozilla in the past.
Faulty DNS configurations were suspected in the first line but I can
confess that our network is setup right way.

I figured out that bot Mozilla and Firefox try to print via CUPS (via
sockstat, firefox process trys to connect to 127.0.0.1:631).

On our servers w e do not use CUPS, still LPD. How to configure
Firefox/Mozilla using LPD instead of CUPS? How to avoid this blind
preconfiguration being used via the ports collection?

Thansk in advance,
Oliver