pvm port refuses to work

Hentai Pantsu sugoi.sama at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 10:58:28 PDT 2005

I was able to install the pvm port, but when i try to run it, it always
fails saying:
libpvm [pid42244] /tmp/pvmd.0.kungfoo: No such file or directory
libpvm [pid42244]: Console: Can't start pvmd

i am running this on my machine (ie, i'm not trying to connect to any remote
host) and i have ipfw enabled
(so i'm guessing it has nothing to do with ipfw, due to loopback address)

i've set the shell variables:
PVM_ARCH=FREEBSD
PVM_ROOT=/usr/local
PVM_DPATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/pvm/lib:/usr/local/lib/pvm/lib/FREEBSD
PVM_PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/lib

a find showed relevant files here:
/usr/local/lib/pvm
/usr/local/lib/pvm/lib/FREEBSD/pvmd3
/usr/local/lib/pvm/lib/FREEBSD/pvm
/usr/local/lib/pvm/lib/pvm
/usr/local/lib/pvm/lib/pvmd
/usr/local/lib/pvm/lib/pvmgetarch
/usr/local/lib/pvm/bin/FREEBSD/pvm_gstat
/usr/local/lib/pvm/bin/FREEBSD/pvmgroups
/usr/local/lib/pvm/bin/FREEBSD/pvmgs
/usr/local/lib/libpvm3.a
/usr/local/lib/libfpvm3.a
/usr/local/lib/libgpvm3.a
/usr/local/lib/libpvmtrc.a
/usr/local/bin/pvmd
/usr/local/bin/pvm
/usr/local/include/fpvm3.h
/usr/local/include/fpvm3_watcom.h
/usr/local/include/pvm3.h
/usr/local/include/pvmproto.h
/usr/local/include/pvmtev.h

i already was able to compile some basic programs with the make variables:
PVM_ARCH = FREEBSD
CFLAGS = -I$(PVM_ROOT)/include
LDFLAGS = -L$(PVM_ROOT)/lib
LIBS = -lpvm3
$(CC) -o hello hello.o $(LDFLAGS) $(LIBS)

i am able to start the pvmd daemon manually by: pvmd &
but when i try pvm, i get the same error

arghhhh.... how do i solve this??!!

thanks in advance for any help