changing boot splash screen

FreeBsdBeni freebsdbeni at spymac.com
Sat Oct 8 07:58:41 PDT 2005

Hi list,

System : 5.4-RELEASE-p7

I'm trying to change the default boot splash screen from beastie to bmp-file.

Here's my /boot/loader.rc :
\ Loader.rc
\ $FreeBSD: src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.rc,v 1.2 2003/11/21 19:01:02 dcs
Exp $
\
\ Includes additional commands
include /boot/loader.4th
\ Reads and processes loader.rc
start
\ Tests for password -- executes autoboot first if a password was defined
check-password
\ Load in the boot menu
include /boot/beastie.4th
\ Start the boot menu
beastie-start

And my /boot/loader.conf :
# snd_driver_load="YES"
snd_inch_load="YES"
# ndis_load="YES"
if_ndis_load="YES"
# if_pff_load="YES"
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
loader_color="YES"
splash_bmp_load="YES"
bitmap_load="YES"
bitmap_name="splash.bmp"

In my kernel I have an "options    VESA".

I have a /boot/splash.bmp which is a 8 bpp 640x480 bitmap (from
http://www.baldwin.cx/splash/saturn_1_640.bmp) where I read the instructions
on how to change the splash screen too (and I did a "man splash"...).

But when I boot my pc, I dont get a nice bitmap splash screen ! I tried whith
commenting out in loader.rc the "include /boot/beastie.4th" and
"beastie-start" lines, but then I get no bootmenu at all.

How do I get a nice splash screen ? Hints and/or tips are welcome :-)

--
FreeBsdBeni.