Nice brushup!!! www.freebsd.org

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Oct 7 11:56:58 PDT 2005

Erik Nørgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just saw the new website - did it get on today? - this is really
> a nice job - well done!!! I hope this will support the impression
> that FreeBSD is professional, all the way through.
>
> I know that some people like to think that a nice website is
> just eyecandy - empty calories - but it works, and it's a
> pleasure to browse!
>
> Congratulations!
>
> Erik

Keep in mind that the below summary is off the top of my head,
and culled from various sources, mostly the doc@ list.

It went "live" when the build occurred on Wednesday evening,
IIRC.  Read the archives for doc@, and you'll see a few discussions;
I'm sure there's a *LOT* more on www at ....

English and Japanese versions were ready, but it seems that they
were able to get a couple of other langs ready in time.  If you click
all the lang tabs, you'll note some are still built in the "old style".

I am sure that credit belongs to many, but the basic design work
was done by Emily Boyd, IIRC (see emilyboyd.com), who has also
done the PostgreSQL site, and several other projects.  I also *think*
that it was part of Google's "Summer of Code" . . . but, like I say,
this is "off the top of my head" ... read up to get the whole truth,
the real truth, and probably everything else besides the truth, too.

In other news, there is a bit of concern with some users, since the
site doesn't scale well if you alter the browser's text size, and
more than a couple of die-hard hackers run X in the > megapixel
range.

Finally, a couple of pretty important site sections didn't have
links on the "new" index page, but these issues are being addressed
and should appear "corrected" as soon as new builds occur.

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.