sendmail/postfix ports question

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Thu Oct 6 08:32:22 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 11:16:50AM -0400, Matt Singerman wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a server running FreeBSD 5.2.1 that provides (amongst other
> things) MTA services to our office via sendmail.  For a variety of a
> reasons, I would like to move away from sendmail to postfix.  However,
> the postfix package cannot, as I am sure you know, simply install with
> sendmail on the system, since they install files to the same places.  I
> am assuming that I have to delete the sendmail package off the system
> before I can install postfix (someone please correct me if this
> assumption is wrong).  My question is, is there a way to safely and
> accurately save my sendmail configuration in the event that postfix
> simply does not work out?  I would really prefer not to have to face a
> situation where I am left high and dry with no MTA working :)

Install postfix from ports. It does NOT install files to the same place
as sendmail with the optional exception of /etc/mail/mail.conf which
provides redirects to the postfix versions.

Also read what postfix says during installation. Needs a bit of info
added to /etc/rc.conf.

Add "NO_SENDMAIL=1" (just define it) to /etc/make.conf and a "make
buildworld" will not build sendmail. Not certain how to surely remove
sendmail once its installed.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net