Multilanguange

Igor Robul igorr at speechpro.com
Thu Oct 6 02:55:17 PDT 2005

Owen Jeremiah wrote:

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the documentation I read this means change
>the WHOLE programs (e.g.: gnome etc.) default language into the other
>language. What I want is the ability to change language on the fly, like
>when I create a presentation, I want to be able to write in English and also
>another language (e.g: chinese).

You can do this. For most european languages you just need add something
like this

Option      "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp:switch"

to your xorg.conf

For Japanese/Chinese/Korean you need to install "input method", for example
/usr/ports/japanese/kinput2-canna+wnn7 for Japanese
or
/usr/ports/chinese/miniChinput for Chinese (I have not tried this)

You can look to other ports in chinese/ or japanese/ for more info.