5.4 reboots when I plug in a flash drive?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Oct 5 05:37:00 PDT 2005

Brian John <brianjohn at fusemail.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> >Brian John <brianjohn at fusemail.com> writes:

> >>Ok, I tried booting up with the drive installed.  If I leave it
> >>installed while it is booting up, it eventually reboots.  However, I
> >>was able to unplug it during boot and look at dmesg.  It says this
> >>over and over again:
> >>
> >>umass0: vendor 0x10d6 USB 2.0(FS) FLASH DISK, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
> >>da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> >>da0: <USB2.0 (FS) FLASH DISK 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> >>da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> >>da0: 119MB (245473 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 119C)
> >>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x4, scsi
> >>status == 0x0
> >>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
> >>umass0: at uhub2 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
> >>(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
> >>(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
> >>Opened disk da0 -> 5
> >>umass0: detached
> >>
> >>I am running FreeBSD 5.4.  Does this shed some light on the problem?
> >>

> > Only a little.  Do you have udbp(4) in your kernel?  Can you try
> > booting 6.0 with the flash unit plugged in and see if it
> >still has problems?
> >

> I could try it, but I don't want to have to roll 6.0 back to 5.4
> afterward if it doesn't work.  Upgrading to 6.0 is a major change and
> I only have 1 PC.  I am still kind of a novice, how easy is it to
> upgrade to 6.0 and how stable is it?

You don't need to install it to your hard drive; just boot the install
disk and see if it gets all of the way through the kernel loading.

>                                       I see that I have the line with
> udbp commented out in my kernel config.  Should I rebuild with it
> uncommented?
>
> #device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices

You could try that.  I was meaning to read up on that USB feature, but
unfortunately I can't find the specs for it at the moment.  I don't
actually know whether it might be relevant.