bruteforceblocker + PF

Enrique Ayesta Perojo eayesta at portugalete.uned.es
Wed Oct 5 03:03:54 PDT 2005

Hello, i'm trying to install the bruteforceblocker script to stop ssh attacks,
but i'm having a problem with PF because it seems not to block the attacker
ip.

The machine is connected to internet and has some needed services for the LAN,
so i want to log and block only outside attacks.

The bruteforceblocker script seems to be working, because i can read the
initial time of it at /var/log/auth.log, so i think the problem may be at my
pf configuration.

Any help?

Thanks a lot

####/etc/pf.conf####
table <bruteforce> persist file "/var/log/bruteforce"

# options
set block-policy return
set loginterface $ext_if

# scrub
scrub in all

# filter rules
block all

pass quick on lo0 all

pass in  on bge0 from 10.200.62.0/24 to 10.200.62.17
pass out on bge0 from 10.200.62.17 to 10.200.62.0/24

block in log quick inet proto tcp from <bruteforce> to any port ssh

####This is my conf of bruteforceblocker####

my $logfile             = '/var/log/auth.log';  # file where this script will
log to
my $pfctl               = '/sbin/pfctl';        # pfctl binary
my $table               = 'bruteforce';         # pf table
my $tablefile           = '/var/log/bruteforce';        # file where table
persist
my $max_attempts        = 3;                    # number of max allowed fails
my $timeout             = 3600;                 # number of seconds after
resetting of ip
my %count               = ();                   # number of failed tries
my %time                = ();                   # last modified time