Password

Nicolas Blais nb_root at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 4 18:42:18 PDT 2005

On October 4, 2005 09:36 pm, sulie halim wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i am new to freebsd, and now working as an
> administrator of my college system, which using
> freebsd. my question is, if i have 50 users in the
> systems, how can i view all their usernames and
> passwords? this because i always have problems of them
> forgot thier passwords, and they can't log in to the
> systems. until now, what i did was, delete their
> usernames, and create new ones because i didn't know
> what their passwords either. so any other alternative?
>
> help me. Thanks.

You can't view their passwords unless you (or they) saved them in a database
(which you (they) should really NOT).

To change a user's passwod without making a new account, use the 'passwd'
command as root:

[nicblais] ~> su
Password:
[root] /home/nicblais# passwd freakuser
Changing local password for freakuser
New Password:
Retype New Password:

Nicolas.

--
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Oct  1 11:51:38 EDT 2005
root at clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A