/dev/ad0s1a: Permission denied.

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sat Oct 1 14:09:44 PDT 2005

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Paul Clark wrote:

> I get permission denied when I try to read the label of any partition:
>
> theatlantis# /dev/ad0s1a
>
> /dev/ad0s1a: Permission denied.
>
> I've tried using freesbie live cd and unmounting all of the partitions.
> What's going on?

That is not the way to read a label. Try bsdlabel /dev/ad0s1a.

If you just type the name of the device file (or any other file), the
system thinks you're trying to execute it. If you do an ls -l on the
file, you will probably see that it has no execute permissions set,
which causes the "Permission denied" that you're seeing.

HTH.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]