Questions about make arguments for ports

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at codeweavers.net
Wed Nov 30 13:02:02 GMT 2005

Hello,

When upgrading a machine from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6.0 I came across the problem of
how to re-compile all the ports to use FreeBSD 6 libraries so I can ditch the
compat5x port.

man portupgrade I should # portupgrade -aRf to force a re-compile but that
then brought up the issue of how to configure each build.  I found the
section in pkgtools.conf that lets you specify arguments to pass to make but
how do I deal with ports that have a config make target?

I mean I could add MAKE_ARGS = { 'java/jdk115' => 'WITHOUT_WEB=1' } to
pkgtools.conf, but is there a way to specify these arguments in this file, or
is there no choice but to configure manually first time?

The reason I ask is because I would like to schedule software updates to run
nightly but I don't want them to either rebuild with the wrong options or
find out it hung on a config screen.

Also I have another question that I can't suss out from either the man pages
or the Mk files: what happens to the configs if you use portupgrade -P?
Seeing as there is only package file per port I assume it gets compiled with
a default set of options and you lost any config options.

I am thinking that perhaps the best strategy is to decide which software I can
use from packages and which I need to compile, configure pkgtools.conf to
download the source or binary versions as appropriate, set MAKE_ARGS for
ports with no config options and pre-configure the rest.  The more I look the
more amazed I am at the flexibility of the ports system but the more I wish
it was completely documented!!!

Ashley