HOWTO write udf (on cd/dvd/hd wherever)

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 29 00:15:25 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:48:24AM +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >>tried to use mount_udf - no success. can't even mount dvd+rw that was
> >>treated with newfs_udf (which works)
> >
> >I couldn't find a newfs_udf on 6.0, although there is a userspace
> >implementation called UDFclient: http://www.13thmonkey.org/udfclient/
> >
> thats what i used.

> >As I understand it, UDF is an extension of ISO9660. An explanation of
>
> no it is not an extension.

See the wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

"It [UDF] is an implementation of the ISO/IEC 13346 standard (also known as
ECMA-167), and an extension of ISO 9660."

And (somewhat paraphrased):

"A variable-length 'packet-written' CD-R(W) can be closed to a ISO9660
format by writing just by writing a table of contents on the CD."

> >UDF can be found here: http://homepage.mac.com/wenguangwang/myhome/udf.html
> >
> >Dvd+rw-tools uses ISO9660, not UDF.
>
> dvd+rw-tools do't use any filesystem! they just write to device.

I beg to differ. Growisofs is a front-end for mkisofs, combined with a
DVD recording program. See the growisofs manual page.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt