sk0: watchdog timeout

Vladimir Dvorak dvorakv at vdsoft.org
Mon Nov 28 16:25:09 GMT 2005

Danial Thom wrote:

>--- Vladimir Dvorak <dvorakv at vdsoft.org> wrote:

>>also maintain the same

>>the computer *and* the

>>forced it as well.
>>

>>>That's exactly what I ment. If you force your
>>>

>>sk0 to 100-full do the same with
>>

>>>your switch. If you set sk0 to auto-config --
>>>

>>do it with your switch.
>>

>>>Watch your interface-counters:
>>>
>>>netstat -I sk0 -b -d -t
>>>
>>>If the hardware (cards, cabeling, plugs, ...)
>>>

>>is ok, there shouldn't be any
>>

>>>errors for days or even weeks!
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>bh
>>>

>>Hi Bernhard,
>>
>>thanks for your message. I suppose we all know
>>something about
>>networking, but this is hardware/driver related
>>problem ( with the
>>highest probability ). I used my server in two
>>different environments -
>>at home and now at serverhouse. No difference.
>>Still getting (from time to time ):
>>
>>sk0: watchdog timeout
>>sk0: link state changed to DOWN
>>sk0: watchdog timeout
>>sk0: link state changed to UP
>>sk0: watchdog timeout
>>sk0: link state changed to DOWN
>>sk0: watchdog timeout
>>sk0: link state changed to UP
>>sk0: watchdog timeout
>>sk0: link state changed to DOWN
>>
>>messages. But server still running. I am out of
>>ideas how can we solve
>>our problem and I am about to buy new network
>>card, because this
>>stressfull situation is not good. ;-)
>>
>>Vladimir
>>

>There are generally 2 cases in which you'll get a
>watchdog timeout message on a network card
>driver.
>
>1) Your machine is in livelock (ie overrun)
>2) There is a problem with the interrupts
>
>Clearly you should know if 1) was occurring. With
>2), it could be a driver or hardware problem or
>both.
>
>DT

Hi,

thanks for reply. The first case ( overrun ) is impossible, the server
has (for now) very low traffic ( load is 0.00 almost all the time ). The
second case is right answer. ;-) I suspect driver related problem.
Before FreeBSD 6.0, there were Linux Debian and I didn`t mentioned any
problem. I had there for several days FreeBSD 5.4  and watchdogs appear
too.

Vladimir