Problem while patching a file

Guillaume R. raimondeau at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:19:45 GMT 2005

Hello
I'm trying to install the last version of emacs (to test Gnus!) on my
box. I've got a compil error, I made a search and found that thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-September/025703.html
By reading the thread I could deduce that this patch seems to work
fine. I decided to apply it. And here is my problem: I don't know how
to patch correctly a file i suppose coz when i type:
patch src/xterm.c < mypatch.patch
Then the patch is not include in the file but simply copied at the top of it.
Could someone explain me how to patch correctly a file? And especially
where i could find some docs on diff/patch commands (apart man)?
Many thx