Switching wired <-> wireless in a user-friendly manner, possible?

Hans Nieser h.nieser at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 27 13:59:32 GMT 2005

AT Matik wrote:

> may be you like what I do
>
> i have DHCP for my nic in rc.conf
>
> when my eth is up (sis0 in my case)  nothing happens as getting the config
> from the dhcp server
>
> else I call a script to configure my wireless connection (/etc/start-wif)
>
> so you may check running this in crontab as I understand you unplug the cable
> and run around ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I am going to try and do
something with devd.conf first. I'm going through the /etc/rc.d/netif,
/etc/network.subr scripts at the moment so I can get a clear picture of
how exactly FreeBSD (6.0 is what I'm using) sets up interfaces at boot, to
prevent myself from screwing anything up ;)