broken openssl on freebsd60

Russell E. Meek rmeek at russellmeek.net
Sun Nov 27 04:55:51 GMT 2005

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

>> OpenSSL is in the base system and the library version should be 4, not
>> 3.  Is there some reason you're installing it from the ports?
>

> I have no idea. I didn't know it was part of the base system, but when
> I went to install apache2, postgresql, etc, those ports wanted to
> install the openssl port or at least they used to.
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lowell Gilbert"
> <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>

>>> 3) subversion
>>> 4) uw-imap
>>> 5) postgresql81 or postgresql80+postgis
>>> 6) php
>>>
>>> etc, etc, etc and I'm concerned that none of those will work with the
>>> current status of openssl on freebsd 6.0. I'm running
>>>
>>> $ uname -a
>>> FreeBSD bobby.xxx.xxx 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #1: Fri Nov 18
>>> 10:47:37 PST 2005
>>> hamannj at bobby.xxx.xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
>>

>> OpenSSL is in the base system and the library version should be 4, not
>> 3.  Is there some reason you're installing it from the ports?

Another user had a similar issue like this with OpenSSL, here is what I
advised him to do which in the end worked perfectly.

Edit your make.conf file *"/etc/make.conf" *and please in the following:

*WITH_OPENSSL_BASE=yes

*This will cause all future installed ports to build against the base
version of OpenSSL rather than trying to install the port version as a
dependency.

You can then uninstall the port version of openssl
*"/usr/ports/security/openssl make deinstall clean"*

Once the uninstall is complete, reinstall all OpenSSL required ports
either by using portupgrade or by manually deinstalling and then
reinstalling the port as they will now build against the base version of
OpenSSL.

Thanks,

Russell