verrevpath -- ipfw: unknown argument ``not''

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Sat Nov 26 17:30:37 GMT 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Mark Edwards <mark at antsclimbtree.com> writes:
>
>> I am trying to implement the verrevpath suggestion in the ipfw man
>> page, as follows:
>>
>>>      The verrevpath option could be used to do automated anti-
>>> spoofing by
>>>      adding the following to the top of a ruleset:
>>>
>>>            ipfw add deny ip from any to any not verrevpath in
>>
>> However, when I try to add the rule, I get an error:
>>
>>> lilbuddy:~ paimin$ ipfw add deny ip from any to any not
>>> verrevpath in
>>> ipfw: unknown argument ``not''
>>
>> Can someone tell what is causing this syntax to fail?  Thanks!
>
> Works fine for me right now on -STABLE (RELENG_6).
> You didn't mention what you were running, so there's not much else we
> can tell you.

Sorry, I am running 4.11, and nothing weird that I know of that would
affect ipfw operation.

I found a posting via google from someone with the same question, and
then he replied to himself that reading the man page had given him
the answer, but he didn't say what that answer was.  Tried to email
him, but it bounced because my mail gateway doesn't have an SPF
record so his server rejected my mail (even though my server DOES
have an SPF record -- ugh).

Thanks!

--
Mark Edwards