dvd-ripping to iso on freebsd ...

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri Nov 25 15:33:08 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 03:26, user wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is a tool I can use on FreeBSD to rip dvd movies to _iso_ ?
>
> Every document I see refers to vobcopy, which is not what I want, as I
> want single-file iso dumps of the dvd.

The port sysutils/dvdbackup will backup a dvd to your harddrive. You can then
either burn the directory, or create an iso, by the normal means described in
the handbook.

I've copied a few this way, but the last couple I tried came out as 8GB and I
gave up and transcoded them instead, as I didn't fancy burning any dual-layer
coasters. I'd be intested to know whether such disks really are DVD9, or
whether this is some form  of copy-protection, IIRC there was a trick with
cross-linking that did that on some software CDs.