Unresolved symbol in libdri.a (X.org)

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Thu Nov 24 23:15:24 GMT 2005

Ok, I've done a good load of googling on this, and I've seen hundreds
of reports of this problem with X.org, but not a single solution.  I'm
at a loss.

First my config:
OS: 5.4-RELEASE-p8
X.org version: xorg-6.8.2 (built from ports)
video driver: nvidia-driver-1.0.7676_1 (built from ports)

My xorg.conf (only including what I suspect is relevant:

Section "Module"
        Load "dbe"
        Load "extmod"
        Load "dri"
        Load "glx"
        Load "record"
        Load "xtrap"
        Load "freetype"
        Load "type1"
EndSection

# Not compatible with glx, which nvidia wants, so no composite in KDE
# Section "Extensions"
#       Option  "Composite"     "Enable"
# EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "NV AGP TwinView"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        Driver "nvidia"
        # update this with the PCI id of your card.  Consult the output
        # of the 'lspci' command. The  BusID is usually optional when
        # only using one graphics card.
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        BoardName   "NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"

        # These are extras that may need removal
        Option "NoLogo" "True"
        Option "RenderAccel" "True"
        Option "NvAGP" "1" # Use NVIDIAs agp
        Option "HWCursor" "True"
        # Option "CursorShadow" "True"
        # Option "EnableAGPFW" "1"  # Use Fast Writes

        # twinview setup
        Option "TwinView"
        Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31-80"
        Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"       "56-75"
        Option "TwinViewOrientation"    "RightOf"
        Option "MetaModes"      "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768"
        Option "ConnectedMonitor"       "crt,crt"
EndSection

Now, the problem I'm seeing is in Xorg.0.log.  It appears there is
some kind of problem resolving a symbol somewhere, but I can't figure
out exactly where the problem is.

Here's an excerpt from Xorg.0.log:
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(II) Loading extension XINERAMA
(==) RandR enabled
Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXgetActiveScreen from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension

There are a couple other "inappropriate ioctl" warnings related to the
mouse and thumbball, though they are probably not related to this
problem.

Any ideas what the cause of this resolution problem is?

TIA
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Beauty, n.:
  The power by which a woman charms a lover and terrifies a husband.
    -- Ambrose Bierce