FreeBSD GENERIC kernel&modules

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Nov 23 02:16:10 GMT 2005

On 2005-11-23 01:35, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at tensor.3miasto.net> wrote:
> >># Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
> >>device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
> >
> >Pretty lean kernel configuration.  It's impossible for the GENERIC
> >kernel though to satisfy everyone, for various reasons.
>
> what i mean is to change generic kernel in FreeBSD releases.
>
> my generic kernel will satisfy more users, and in most cases there is only
> need to rebuild one or a few modules with some added options.

Sorry in advance if this sounds a bit blunt, but what proof do you have
that your version of GENERIC is better?

> i think kernel modules was invented exactly for this. and loader.conf is
> an excellent thing!

Sure.  Others happen to think that being able to load *any* sort of
modules at all is a security risk ;-)

> if kernels have to keep most things in it, so why having modules at all?

Just because something *is* possible, it's not always a good idea.
I hope you do realize the logical fallacy hidden in this sort of
reasoning.

Stretching your example a bit:

    ``Since we now have bionic arms, why do you people worry about
    cutting a few fingers off to start with?  We can always reattach
    them later on, if necessary!''

Now, don't get me wrong.  I just don't see why GENERIC has to be changed
so extensively.  Any *GOOD* reason why this should be done?

- Giorgos