Dump Help

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Nov 22 15:35:27 GMT 2005

> As you all  can tell by now I'm new to this, and I'm avidly reading through
> my AbsoluteBsd book.
>
> I don't really save any data to the BSD box just logs, I use it for scanning
> email  (Exim, ClamAV, SA)
>
> My  goal is to backup the file/files/partitions  so that if the box blew up ,
> I can just grab a new box install bsd , then restore  it.

Well, if you are going to reinstall FreeBSD - from a CD and FTP? -
then all you really need to back up are the working files you want
to recover.   If all you want are logs, most of those are in /var/log
unless you have told it to put things elsewhere or have created
some special logging utility.

So, you might get by with just dumping /var.

But, since you have the bulk of your space in /usr, I think maybe
you are putting some useful stuff in there.   So, you figure out
where your valuable stuff is and back up those filesystems.

////jerry