misc/89401: bsd is the worst linux install and program i have seen

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Nov 22 14:41:05 GMT 2005

> well ya i'm a noob at linux - enough so that it's obvious to you that i'm a
> noob ... but it was listed with other linux download so i assumed it was
> linux ... obviously 'my mistake' if it's not linux

Yup.  It is your mistake.

> after trying other linux versions and barely having favourable results were
> that your program would be similar - but it is a lot harder to install and
> set up

Again, it is not LINUX, not even close.

> what does a company that produces these programs expect from the general
> public? that we were all born with the skills to understand this programs?
> .. why not make them more user-friendly so that people can understand how
> to use them?

Again, you show that you are not trying to learn anything from what
information is available.   FreeBSD is not produced by any "company"
but by a group of user/volunteers who make it available to everyone
for free.

Secondly, FreeBSD is very user-friendly.   It just does not make
all your decisions for you so you have no control over the system
as do some so-call operating systems out there.

Try looking at the FreeBSD web site and learning something about it.

         http://www.freebsd.org/

There are summaries, documentation, FAQs and HowTo-s linked from there
if you just take time to look.

There are also lots of help sites and online magazine articles as well
as several good published books you can find just by doing a little
searching with Google or other favorite search service.

////jerry

> i may of been sharp in my criticism but as i'm a 'noob' except for windows
> there is a very frustrating learning curve for working with other programs
> .. hopefully you didn't take my criticisms 'personally' as i doubt that you
> are 'personally' responsible for the (seemingly) lack of user-friendliness
> in the bsd program
>
> my apologies if i insulted you personally.

Not personal to me, but maybe to yourself.

> i'll continue to try to learn more about your program and what it is before
> i speak out again. i don't mind making myself look foolish cuz it forces me
> to take a step back and try something again ... surely i will find easier
> ways to communicate my frustrations as i continue to learn.

Well, onward and upward.
/jrm