Proposed license for IETF Contributions

Simon Josefsson jas at extundo.com
Mon Nov 21 17:28:13 GMT 2005

"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
>   You might check this but I believe that the Copyright convention
> specifically
> excepts "specifications" from copyright coverage.  I think there's some
> other
> classes of original work that fall under this.  How about simply
> rewriting the
> ITEF license to designate any RFC as the complete RFC is a specification,
> and therefore uncopyrightable.

Hi Ted.  I have not seen anyone suggest this before, and I strongly
doubt that anything as complex as a specification would be excepted
from copyright coverage.  All specifications I have read have been
copyrighted.

Perhaps you are thinking of US Governmental works?  They are not
copyrighted in the same way other works are.

Please provide me with a reference for this.

Thanks,
Simon