uninstalling packages...

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Nov 21 15:07:46 GMT 2005

Javier Matos wrote:

>Hello, I want information about uninstallation of packages. I know how to perform that kind of actions but I really want to know if something like pkg_add "a_package" and then pkg_delete "a_package" really delete ALL FILES installed with pkg_add command.

In short, yes.  This isn't windows :-)

The long answer is that each package provides information about what
files it installs and thus what files to de-install.  So the maintainer
of the package/port has to get the list of files correct, but I've
rarely seen any problems.  So if you find that a package isn't deleting
something you should ask here or contact the port maintainer.

However, if you create any local configuration files (say, for example,
/usr/local/etc/smartd.conf, or user specific openoffice directories)
they shouldn't be deleted.

--Alex