UPS advice, please ...

Cezar Fistik cezar at arax.md
Sun Nov 20 23:05:39 GMT 2005

Hello Kiffin,

> I have a couple web servers running FreeBSD 5.x and need to protect them
> against power outages.

> These are two simple machines running at home so nothing fancy. Just
> some way to do a power down neatly so the shutdown has time to clean up.

> What do I need and where can I look for more detailed information.

check this out, I use it and it works with many different UPS.

# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/nut
# cat pkg-descr
This is a developing project to monitor a large assortment of UPS hardware.
Network communications are used so that multiple systems can monitor a
single physical UPS and shut down together if necessary without any
special "sharing hardware" on the UPS itself. CGI scripts are provided
to monitor UPS status via a WEB browser.

WWW: http://www.networkupstools.org/

- Doug Barton
DougB at FreeBSD.org

--