comms/mlan3 port woes

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Nov 19 17:17:09 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've been lent a couple of DS1921 ThermoCron iButtons and serial reader
for a while, so installed mlan3 (mlan3-1.00) as a package.  tstfind finds
and lists the ibuttons ok, but the thermocron programs (thermodl and
thermoms) are not included, though I'd noticed them in the sources.

So I had a look at the port, found the patch-aa file is all wrong for the
thermo make (and another in the apps suite, swtloop).  Then had a look at
phk's earlier mlan port and sure enough, the two wanted programs are in
its pkg-plist, so I installed package mlan-1.03 .. and they work fine ..

paqi# thermodl /dev/cuaa0 | grep -v \[EC\]\[nl\] | tail -7
12/25/2041  23:26 ,  27.0
12/26/2041  00:26 ,  26.0
12/26/2041  01:26 ,  25.0
12/26/2041  02:26 ,  24.0
12/26/2041  03:26 ,  23.5
12/26/2041  04:26 ,  23.0

paqi# thermodl /dev/cuaa0 /f | grep -v \[EC\]\[nl\] | tail -7
12/25/2041  23:26 ,  80.6
12/26/2041  00:26 ,  78.8
12/26/2041  01:26 ,  77.0
12/26/2041  02:26 ,  75.2
12/26/2041  03:26 ,  74.3
12/26/2041  04:26 ,  73.4

.. except those dates and times could really benefit from the Y2K patches
mentioned in the mlan3 sources :) Log data with bad timestamps is useless
as I want to scoop these logs into a database, preferably without having
to write a date-conversion filter (though that's my last recourse).

I've also successfully run thermoms, the 'missioning' program, which
thankfully doesn't reprogram the thermocron's RTC to weird(er) times.

So I'm stuck; searched the freebsd-ports list archives, and only came up
with someone else in '04 having the same problem, with no response.

This a 4.5-R box, but I've checked; apart from an 'unbreak on 5.x' patch
there are no changes with respect to the missing programs' Makefiles:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/comms/mlan3/files/patch-aa?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

I can *almost* see what needs doing to patch-aa to hopefully fix the
broken make for the thermo programs, cloned from other subdir Makefiles,
but I don't know how to go about fixing that, where to put things, or how
to generate an updated patch file and apply it.

Perhaps these two didn't build right for the mlan3 porter? (hm@)  I don't
want to spend too much time if they still aren't going to build, or work.

Can anyone help, or advise?

Cheers, Ian