gnome

eoghan freebsd at redry.net
Thu Nov 17 16:21:57 GMT 2005

P.U.Kruppa wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, eoghan wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> Im wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on using gnome. Ive
>> been using KDE since Ive started using freeBSD and it like it. But I
>> have recently looked at ubuntus distro, which uses gnome (their
>> version I assume) and it was very nice.
>> So, stuff like font rendering etc. Which is, in your experience,
>> prettier so to speak, to use? Applications and so on. The gnome
>> project page seems to be lacking version screenshots, or at least I
>> couldnt find them.
>> Any feedback greatly appreciated.
> This is a difficult question to answer since it really is a matter of
> taste what kind of look you prefer. And don't forget you can change the
> look and design of your gnome or kde desktop completely to accroding to
> your needs and wishes.
>
> What I really can say - since I am using gnome for everyday's work for
> some years now - Gnome has greatly improved stability, perfomance and
> usability since "old times" of 2.6 or 2.8 .
> 2.12 is a fast and reliable working enviroment.
>
> If you can afford the bandwith and the diskspace you should install both
> and compare yourself.

Thanks for the reply. Ive installed gnome, having some problems running
it and didnt get a chance to tackle it last night, but I will later. I
guess I was just wondering whether the guys at ubuntu have just done a
really nice job with gnome, or is this how it "looks". The fonts seemed
smoother and window dragging wasnt jerky at all, even though it was
running from a cd. But I will compare and see what its like.
Eoghan