ntpdate

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 16:13:32 GMT 2005

On 11/16/05, dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:15:24 +0200
> Ivailo Tanusheff <i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg> wrote:
>
> > Why you need to do this?
> > Your system is not fully operationl in the time you try to run
> > ntpdate. Just edit your /etc/ntp.conf to connect to some time
> > servers. Per example mine is:
>
> [cut very nice example]
>
> Thank you. I
> You are probably right. I'll get rid of ntpdate in rc.conf.
> I have two timeservers at the moment. I will look for some more in the
> Netherlands. Yours are to far away ;-)

The easy way to find public NTP servers is to use the public pool,
which gives you a random list of servers each time you do a DNS lookup
on it.  You can ask for the pool for a specific continent or country
(when they exist) as well.  More info about this is at

http://www.pool.ntp.org/use.html

but the short answer is to specify three servers as:

server 0.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 1.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 2.nl.pool.ntp.org

Which will give you three different randomly selected public servers
in the Netherlands (actually it gives you three lists, but ntpd will
use the first one from each list).

Info about availability of participating servers in specific regions
is at http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone

- Bob