starting services?

Gerry Freymann lists at interpool.ca
Thu Nov 17 14:18:59 GMT 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:45:14 -0500
"Lonnie Cumberland" <lonnie at outstep.com> wrote:

>I have just installed the Samba3 via the packages in the
>/stand/sysinstall but am not clear on how to start the daemon.  I have
>had a lot of experience with Linux but have not learned a lot about
>FreeBSD yet and am working on it.

 Welcome to FreeBSD. You didn't mention what version you are using, so I
can only speak definitively on v4.

 If you installed via the ports/packages, it should have dropped a start
up script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d (which is where a lot of the start
up/shut down scripts go for various programs).

 You may have something in there called samba.sh.sample. If you copy it or
rename it to samba.sh it will automatically start and stop samba for you
as needed.

 If you manually want to do this, you *must* use the full path to the
script:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh start | stop

 You should find what you need in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

>Also, I have been watching the threads on some hackers breaking into
>someone's system through PHP and am wondering about how secure FreeBSD
>really is compared to various default installs of Linux.

 That isn't a problem with FreeBSD, it's a problem with PHP (and/or poor
programming). I would feel quite secure with FreeBSD and PHP. The latest
exploits involved a few PHP scripts and were quickly patched. There are
sections on securing FreeBSD in the handbook, and if you google you'll
find a few other sites with suggestions and examples too.

 Have fun!

-Gerry