Wrong system time when booting off cd9660

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Thu Nov 17 13:06:24 GMT 2005

Hello!

  I've made a custom bootable CDROM based on 6.0-RELEASE using the following
command line (shamelessly stolen from /usr/src/release/i386/mkisoimages.sh):

mkisofs -b boot/cdboot -no-emul-boot -r -J -o cd.iso cd

I've made the following tweaks in system's rc.conf:

root_rw_mount="NO" ; update_motd="NO"
entropy_file="NO" ;  entropy_dir="NO"

and in fstab:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/acd0               /               cd9660  ro              0       0

System boots OK except it doesn't read system time from RTC: I'm always
getting something like "Thu Jan  1 03:00:00 MSK 1970" (actuall this system
uses /etc/localtime copied from /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Kiev; and yes,
back in 1970 it was Moscow time here ;). If I reset system time using
'date' or 'ntpdate', it actually updates RTC. Why do I have such an effect?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua