Solaris patches and Solaris Express

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Nov 17 09:52:33 GMT 2005

Hmmm,

   We run a lot of Solaris 8 and FreeBSD.  I find Solaris 8 pretty
much the same speed as FreeBSD for what we do.  However, one thing
is that we do not run X-windows on either our Solaris 8 or FreeBSD
systems, because they are servers and there is no need for it.

  I've generally not found trouble obtaining the patches for Solaris
I've needed, most of them are in the cluster patch, and the ones that
aren't yet are critical (such as the repaired ncsd program) are
available on the Internet on non-Sun-approved websites.

  The performance of Xorg/XFree86 vs Openwindows is greatly different
as you point out.  It is possible to compile Xorg on Solaris 8, at
least Solaris x86 - I've heard of people doing it but I've never
done it myself.

Ted