Release engineering confusion

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu Nov 17 00:41:34 GMT 2005

This is why I am confused, because as per the handbook (20.2.2.2):

"For these reasons, we do not recommend that you blindly track
FreeBSD-STABLE, and it is particularly important that you do not update
any production servers to FreeBSD-STABLE without first thoroughly
testing the code in your development environment."

Also in there, it states that one does NOT need to follow stable to get
the latest security/bug fixes, which makes me believe that on my
production network, I should track RELENG_6_X (security/bug fix), and in
my devel lab, RELENG_6 (STABLE).

Appreciating, but 'disagreeing' with your comment that _6_0 will NOT get
the sec/bug updates from my understanding so far. It is my understanding
that _6_0 will get ALL the bug/sec updates, but nothing else because it
is *frozen*, making it preferrably the track to follow in a pure,
24/7/365 environment, because new 'tricks' or 'features' are not
introduced here.

Does that seem accurate?

Steve