Intresting X Question...

Eric Murphy eam404 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 16 05:01:12 GMT 2005

Maybe some body can explain this alittle better then my google searchs
and other readings.

My question is this: Lets say your installing BSD on some workstation,
you dont know the hardware specs of the monitor (Vertical and Horizontal
rates ect..) and you need to configure Xorg. Its my understanding that
Xorg runs getconfig, which determines the video card type and monitor
type. Once it has that information it applys the information gatherd to
the xorg config. Is that how it works? I was going to say, it cant just
test a bunch of differnt monitor rates that could cause damage to the
monitor.

However today in one of our labs I installed bsd on a machine and was
unable to get xorg working properly becuase getconfig wasnt issueing the
correct H and V rates for the monitor, I didnt know what to do without
having to look it up. Anyway if someone could explain this process I
would be much obliged. Thanks