Replacing FreeBSD boot loader (was: How To Delete BSD)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 15 15:30:49 GMT 2005

On Monday, 14 November 2005 at  4:09:49 -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2005, at 1:30 AM, Uncle Deejy-Pooh wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 18:07:56 -0800, Scharp Ledge wrote:
>>
>>> How do I delete BSD?  Thanks
>>
>> Betcha don't get many replies to this !!!
>
> Did you perhaps mean the FreeBSD bootloader? If so, what do you want
> to use as the bootloader/primary OS then?

FWIW, if you want to dual boot Linux and FreeBSD, you're better off
using GRUB.  That works fine.  For example, put something like this in
your (Linux) /boot/grub/menu.lst:

  # FreeBSD
  title		FreeBSD 7-CURRENT
  root		(hd0,2,a)
  kernel	/boot/loader

Note that Linux counts partitions differently.  hd0,2,a is
/dev/ad0s3a.

Greg