if_bridge interface confuses Windows Small Business Server 2000

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Tue Nov 15 12:42:50 GMT 2005

FreeBSD 6 came at the perfect time for me.  I've just switched my primary
desktop from Win2k to FreeBSD, and I put the Windows boot disk in an old
machine that was heading for the skip.

I wanted to access the W2k machine (fred) over VNC without flooding our
switch, so I thought let's take advantage of the new features in REL 6...  I
added a second ethernet card to my FreeBSD box (alfie) and configured a
bridge in /etc/rc.conf:

	ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
	ifconfig_rl1="up"
	cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
	ifconfig_bridge0="addm rl0 addm rl1 up"
	gateway_enable="YES"

SBS is configured to give a static DHCP lease of 192.168.0.181 to alfie; fred
is dynamic and is currently 192.168.0.35.

At first everything seemed fine, and fred operates as if it was plugged
straight into the network.

But...

1) SBS sees both machines as alfie, even though it correctly reports the MAC
addresses of each machine

2) On alfie, when I want to make a VNC connection to fred I have to type "vnc
viewer alfie"(!)

3) On fred, if I ping alfie it returns 192.168.0.35 as the IP number, not 181
which is the static lease.

I assume this is a bug in if_bridge, only because I assumed that bridge
interfaces should be transparent (and act like a physical switch).

When we get some small switches in I'll use one to connect the two machines
together, but I'd still like to work out what's going on here.  Am I doing
something wrong?

Ashley