FreeBSD and IEEE1394 Disks

David Dooley dpd at raffles-it.com
Tue Nov 15 09:59:58 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am mucking about with firewire disks at the moment, curently on a
Windose XP box and having nothing, but problems with "Delayed Write
Failures" when I try and write data to the disk. I am thinking of moving
the card to my FreeBSD 5.2 box, but I was just curious as to how stable
firewire disk are under FreeBSD and if any users experiance problems wit
hdata loss when reading and writing to disks. I eventually want to use
these disks as a backup device, but can only do so if they are rock
solidly reliable.

I am using an Adaptect 8300 card (64-bit card in a 32-bit PCI Slot)
connected to a FireWire bridge board with the Initio-2430L
(http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_1308&products_id=5625)
chip set, which is in turn connected to 4 x Western Digital 200GB disks.

Thanks for your thoughts and sugestions

Regards

David Dooley