xterm conflicts with xorg-clients

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Nov 14 18:11:16 GMT 2005

Jeppe Larsen wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:22:08 +0000, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>

>>I believe upgrading xorg-clients and then xterm should work, if only
>>that damn xorg-clients port would compile!  I found this link late last
>>night which might help, but haven't tried it myself yet.
>>
>>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-i386/2005-January/002040.html
>>

>With portdowngrade i managed to install 206 again, so that might be
>settled. It seems that the problem with xorg-client is another matter, but
>this error in the link is from january, and the upgrade to 6.8.2_1 is from
>yesterday??

As I said, I just did a quick trawl of google late yesterday (like 2am)
and haven't followed up.  I don't *know* that it's relevant but it looks
like the same error to me.  It's not unknown for errors which have been
fixed to come crawling back out of the woodwork, so maybe it was fixed
once and just came back.  That's something the port maintainers would
have to speak to, though!  I actually have no idea that the problem
didn't exist since Jan, since I think I installed nvidia-driver after
xorg-clients, so wouldn't have seen the problem.

Glad the portdowngrade worked for you.  I would just leave those two
ports alone for a while until you either see something on this list, or
see them being updated through cvsup (or check the ports changes page on
the freebsd web site every now and again).  Or just try upgrading
xorg-clients again in a week.  If it doesn't fail, then upgrade xterm.
If it does fail, it doesn't matter and try again a week later!

--Alex