Ape (Monkey's Audio) decompression tools

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:54:34 GMT 2005

On 11/14/05, Karol Kwiatkowski <freebsd at orchid.homeunix.org> wrote:
> Andrew P. wrote:
> > How do I convert .ape to .wav?
> >
> > audio/xmms-mac works ok, I'm able to play the files,
> > but I want to convert them to flac.
>
> I don't know any specific software to do ape->flac conversion but,
> since you're using xmms already, you could decompress ape to wav using
> 'Disk Writer Plugin' (Options -> Preferences -> Audio I/O plugins ->
> Output plugin). Just select it, configure a path and start playback. I
> guess it's installed with xmms by default.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Karol

Yes, I know. Thanks for the hint, anyway. The problem
is that ape is some kind of a package format, most ape
files in my collection contain several tracks. Cue files
come along (with lengths and names). In theory, I can
use xmms and convert one big ape to one big ape and
then separate it manually using info from the cue file,
but I'd rather an automated tool does it all for me.

Xmms doesn't show an ape file as separate tracks.