illegal option in mergemaster

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Thu Nov 10 21:02:11 GMT 2005

I synchronized my sources to RELENG_6 built the world, built the kernel,
and installed the kernel.
When I run mergemaster, it always dies with the following message.  It's
trying to use a "-l" option with cap_mkdb and that's not a legal switch.
I can't find any documentation on that switch either.  What is it trying
to do, and why?

cd /usr/src/etc;  install -o root -g wheel -m 644  amd.map apmd.conf
auth.conf  crontab csh.cshrc csh.login csh.logout devd.conf devfs.conf
dhclient.conf disktab fbtab ftpusers gettytab group  hosts hosts.allow
hosts.equiv hosts.lpd  inetd.conf login.access login.conf  mac.conf motd
netconfig network.subr networks newsyslog.conf  portsnap.conf pf.conf
pf.os phones profile protocols  rc rc.bsdextended rc.firewall rc.firewall6
rc.initdiskless  rc.sendmail rc.shutdown  rc.subr remote rpc services
shells  snmpd.config sysctl.conf syslog.conf usbd.conf  etc.i386/ttys
/usr/src/etc/../gnu/usr.bin/man/manpath/manpath.config
/usr/src/etc/../usr.bin/mail/misc/mail.rc
/usr/src/etc/../usr.bin/locate/locate/locate.rc printcap
/var/tmp/temproot/etc;  cap_mkdb -l /var/tmp/temproot/etc/login.conf;
install -o root -g wheel -m 755  netstart pccard_ether rc.suspend
rc.resume /var/tmp/temproot/etc;  install -o root -g wheel -m 600
master.passwd nsmb.conf opieaccess /var/tmp/temproot/etc;  pwd_mkdb -L -p
-d /var/tmp/temproot/etc  /var/tmp/temproot/etc/master.passwd
cap_mkdb: illegal option -- l
usage: cap_mkdb [-v] [-f outfile] file [file ...]
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/etc.

   *** FATAL ERROR: Cannot 'cd' to /usr/src/etc and install files to
       the temproot environment