Files left over from a installworld

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Nov 9 16:23:24 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 01:22:35PM +0000, Alistair Sutton wrote:
> On 09/11/05, Richard Jones <richard at jonze.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been continuously upgrading my machine from (I think) RELEASE-4.8,
> > and I'm beginning to see lots of cruft from older releases accumulating.
> > What are the list's feelings on deleting the majority of files listed
> > by:
> >
> > find / /usr -xdev -mtime +7
> >
> > There are plenty there that I created or belong the packages e.g.
> > /etc/mail/$HOSTNAME.mc and /etc/X11/XFConfig
> >
> > but what about, for example:
> >
> > /etc/netconfig
> > /etc/pam.d/ftpd
> > /etc/periodic/daily/100.clean-disks
> > /etc/amd.map
> > /sbin/ip6fw
> > /sbin/ilmid
> > /lib/libdevstat.so.4
> > /lib/libutil.so.4
> > /rescue/ipmon
> >
> > Obviously dollops of common sense are needed, but has anyone attempted
> > to formalize this type spring cleaning?
>
> There is something that was committed to -CURRENT a month or so ago
> that will delete out-of-date files but I can't remember what the name
> of it is.

'make delete-old' and 'make delete-old-libs'.

> I'm sure it'll get MFCed from -CURRENT at some point once it becomes
> more stable.

It's not too hard to back-port it yourself (e.g. if you're using 6.0
you can just cvs update the /usr/src/Makefile* and ObsoleteFiles.inc).
This won't work after the first 6.0 file is removed from -CURRENT, and
on't try it on anything before 6.0, obviously!

Kris