Unusual permissions on /var/named/etc/namedb/master?

Josh Tolbert hemi at puresimplicity.net
Tue Nov 8 08:19:42 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm running DHCP + dynamic DNS here on my home LAN and I've noticed a problem
that needs a manual fix every time the DNS machine gets rebooted. It doesn't
happen very often, but it does happen. :)

My firewall/gateway machine runs FreeBSD-5.4-RELEASE of some patchlevel. It
uses ISC DHCPD from ports to update my DNS server, another FreeBSD machine
(now running 6.0-RELEASE) with new entries when machines register with the
DHCP server. The problem arises because by default named runs -u bind, however
/var/named/etc/namedb/master is owned by root. I believe this is caused by
/etc/mtree/BIND.chroot.dist, since I'm running bind chrooted (the default
setup). When the DNS machine reboots, I have to manually chown
/var/named/etc/namedb/master (or /etc/namedb/master) to bind before updates
will continue, otherwise I see errors such as

named[297]: dumping master file: master/tmp-QQ2UU6pWaZ: open: permission denied

Is there any good workaround for this issue? I'd like to keep bind running as
the bind user as well as keep bind chrooted if possible. I know I could edit
the mtree file on my machine, but that seems somewhat kludgy to me.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me,

Josh
--
Josh Tolbert
hemi at puresimplicity.net  ||  http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/

If your sysadmin's not being fascist, you're paying him too much.
   --Sam Greenfield