Diagnosing reboot under load

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Mon Nov 7 14:57:38 GMT 2005

Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Micah wrote:
>

>>Garrett Cooper wrote:

>>>    It might not just be a bad power supply, but instead a lack of
>>>power  due to the power supply rating. So my question is, what is the
>>>rating  of the power supply and how many devices (hard drives, ATX
>>>powered  video cards) do you have connected?
>>>-Garrett
>>

>>It had been working fine since I bought it at the beginning of
>>September.  It's a 350 watt PSU running an Asus A8V-E deluxe mobo with
>>an Athlon 64 3000+.  I have one ata 100 hd, one DVD-RW, and one
>>floppy.  For expansion cards I have a PCI-EX vid card (MSI X300se),
>>and an Intel NIC.  Plus the keyboard and two mice and that pretty much
>>accounts for all power drainers.
>>
>>Right now under load the multimeter reads 11.89 on +12, 5.12-5.08 on
>>+5 (did a min/max reading over several minutes on that one) and 3.36
>>on +3.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Micah
>

>     Doesn't really sound like a lot, but depending on the amount of
> memory, I wonder since the power rating is _somewhat low_ and depending
> on which area of the world you live in, the amount of current output may
> be higher or lower, based on voltage values output by your power
> supply... Also, is your version of FreeBSD also running in 64 bit mode
> or 32 bit mode?
> -Garrett

I'm running the i386 version of FreeBSD with 1gb ram.  Didn't think to
check this before, but I'm getting ~112-113 volts into the PSU from the
surge strip.  I'm probably going to get a new PSU today.  The parts
store has a couple of 400 watters in the $50 range (a fortron and a
thermaltake).

I did a lucifer burn-in test last night and got 8 errors over a two hour
period.  I ran the mprime torture test this morning (after the computer
had been powered off overnight) and it passed.  I didn't have the
high-low meter attached to see how the voltages looked.

Thanks,
Micah