Diagnosing reboot under load

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Mon Nov 7 02:43:07 GMT 2005

Beecher Rintoul wrote:
> On Sunday 06 November 2005 12:20 pm, Micah wrote:
>
>>My desktop system just started doing this last night.  I was upgrading
>>Gnome using the handy shell script they provide.  It looks like sometime
>>around 11:30pm the computer reset.  This morning I'm trying to reinstall
>>all the software that got lost in last night's reset and I get another
>>reset in the middle of compiling.  The last message in /var/log/messages
>>before reboot is:
>>Nov  6 10:41:08 trisha ntpd[489]: kernel time sync enabled 6001
>>Nov  6 10:58:14 trisha ntpd[489]: kernel time sync enabled 2001
>>Nov  6 13:02:57 trisha syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
>>
>>I just ran memtest86+ and there's no memory errors.  I'm guessing it's a
>>hardware issue, but how do I diagnose it?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Micah
>

> I had the exact same problem on a machine that I know doesn't have any
> hardware problems. I should have just aborted that "script" when it started
> removing anything dependent on the new gnome libs. If you got as far as the
> new gnome progs installed. Just rebuild  what you need. And use the "r" flag.
> I'd much rather have a lib not found error than rebuild the way that "script"
> does.  I'm sure this is going to bite quite a few people before it's over.
> FWIW I have the new kde back up with no errors, and I'll just deal with any
> other problems as they occur.
>
> Beech

Except it reboot later when rebuilding the KDE stuff with portinstall
NOT the Gnome script.  And I'm getting occasional segmentation faults on
Thunderbird and intermittent compiler errors like this one while
portinstalling kdepim:
then mv -f ".deps/eudora_xxport.Tpo" ".deps/eudora_xxport.Plo"; else rm
-f ".deps/eudora_xxport.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
eudora_xxport.cpp: In member function `virtual KABC::AddresseeList
EudoraXXPort::importContacts(const QString&) const':
eudora_xxport.cpp:121: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

Something seems wrong.  I don't think a software error should cause a
system reboot without any log messages anywhere.

Thanks,
Micah