Installing wine on 6.0 RC

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Nov 3 16:46:46 GMT 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 14:29, paul thodiyil wrote:
> On 11/4/05, Andrew P. <infofarmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/3/05, paul thodiyil <pthodiyil at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am sort of new to FreeBSD and still learning the ropes. I am having
> >
> > great
> >
> > > trouble installing WINE and indeed other packages on my AMD64 desktop
> > > running FreeBSD ver 6.0. I had added this package during the
> >
> > installation
> >
> > > process.
> > > With the 'whereis wine' command, I get: /usr/ports/emulators/wine
> > > Then when I type pkg_add wine, I get 'can't stat package file wine'
> > > Could someone tell me what I could be doing wrong?
> > > Paul
> >

> > Wine does not run on anything but x86 yet. Sorry.

> Many thanks. Saves me a lot of sweat.

Are you aware that an amd 64 processor can run either the AMD64 or i386
versions of FreeBSD?  Wine will run on the the later.

It wasn't clear to me  whether "on my AMD64 desktop" referred to the OS or the
CPU.  If you have installed the AMD64 version of the OS then I would advise
you to consider replacing it with the I386 version, which has fewer rough
edges.

The actual problem you report will happen on *any* system:

# pkg_add  wine
pkg_add: can't stat package file 'wine'

The correct usage is either

pkg_add -r  wine                        #install a wine package from a server

or something like:

pkg_add wine-20050930.tbz     #install this particular local file