Script help for updating routine

Denny White dennyboy at cableone.net
Wed Nov 2 11:09:06 PST 2005

I have a script, pasted in below, which does various
things on a daily basis, like cvsup src, docs, ports,
portsdb, portversion, portupgrade, & so on. I finally
figured out how to do the if/then/else thing with the
portversion-portupgrade part of the script, but I can't
figure out what to do to bypass the docs install part
if there are no new docs. Thanks for any help I can
get on it. Script follows:

#!/bin/sh
#
echo "Cvsup latest src and doc"
cvsup -g -L 2 /root/srcdoc-supfile
#
# THIS THE PART IN QUESTION, THAT DOES
# DOES THE DOCS. CUSTOM MAKEFILE IS FOR
# ENGLISH ONLY.
#G
#send copious output to the bit bucket
echo "Updating docs"
echo ""
cd /usr/doc
cp Makefile.custom Makefile
make install
#make install > /dev/null
#
cd /root
echo "Portsnap fetching and updating ports"
echo ""
portsnap fetch
portsnap update
#
echo "Updating INDEX in /usr/ports"
echo ""
cd /usr/ports
#make fetchindex
portsdb -uUF
#
echo "Portaudit checking for vulnerabilities in installed ports"
echo "Results in file /root/vulnerable"
echo ""
portaudit -Fda >> /root/vulnerable
#
echo "Portversion checking if any ports need upgrading"
echo "Results in file /root/need2upgrade"
echo ""
portversion -l "<" > /root/need2upgrade
if grep '<' /root/need2upgrade; then
echo "Portupgrade upgrading out-of-date ports"
portupgrade -arR; else
echo "Ports already up to date" 1>&2
exit 1
fi
echo "Finished at `/bin/date`."
exit

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A