Quick Routing Question

Jason Morgan jwm-freebsd at sentinelchicken.net
Tue Nov 1 09:49:02 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:37:16PM +0100, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd at sentinelchicken.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 11:24:59AM -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
> > > And again, tcpdump is a very good tool. The -i switch tells it what
> > > interface to listen on, so if the wireless side of the router works
> > > but you can't ping across to the cabled side, then apply the cabled
> > > interface to the -i switch and you'll be able to see if traffic is
> > > making that far, and if it is, if it's even attempting to go back.
> >
> > Ok, it looks like it was an issue with the default settings on the
> > Linksys (and is still somewhat of an issue). I can now connect to
> > systems in each of the two subnets and I also have routing to the
> > outside world from both subnets. My only remaining issue is getting
> > to the web app setup for the Linksys - I can only do it from a local
> > address (meaning a 192.168.1.x address).  The Linksys refuses
> > connections from my 10.0.0.x subnet. Is this a NAT issue?
>
> Do you have NAT enabled between 192.168.1.0 and 10.0.0.0?
> If you do, the Linksys shouldn't see any 10.0.0.x addresses.
>
> If you don't, this is probably a security measure.
> Perhaps the Linksys supports a white list to
> allow access from non-local addresses.

I never explicity set the FreeBSD machine to enable NAT between these
subnets. Should I do so? Do I just add another natd_interface to
rc.conf?

Right now, the NAT related entries in rc.conf on the gateway look like
this:

natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="xl0"  #public interface
natd_flags="-dynamic -m"