Quick Routing Question

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Tue Nov 1 09:42:39 PST 2005

> Ok, it looks like it was an issue with the default settings
> on the Linksys (and is still somewhat of an issue). I can now
> connect to systems in each of the two subnets and I also have
> routing to the outside world from both subnets. My only
> remaining issue is getting to the web app setup for the
> Linksys - I can only do it from a local address (meaning a
> 192.168.1.x address).  The Linksys refuses connections from
> my 10.0.0.x subnet. Is this a NAT issue?

No, this is not a NAT issue.

You are not doing NAT in this situation (on exception through to the
Internet)...the 10/24 and 192.168.1/24 subnets are routed (not NAT'd)
through the FBSD box. They are communicating directly to one another,
with no translation at all.

The problem here (my opinion only), is that the Linksys sees the 10.x
address and is not familiar with it (unless explicitly told to do so).

What you need to do, is set a static route inside the Linksys that
states that 10.0.0.x/24 should be routed to 192.168.1.2 (aka FBSD fw),
out the LAN side of the device. Otherwise, what will happen is that the
Linksys sees 10/24 as an *outside* address range, and it will forever
trying to send it out it's WAN side, to it's default GW, even if there
is not one configured.

The Linksys may try to give up searching for the 10 network because the
only addresses it knows how to route through the LAN side will be the
192 network.

I hope I haven't confused you here. I've gotten quite busy so I'm typing
faster tham I'm able to think :)

Anyway, it's been a while since I've played with a Linksys, but I am
certain you can add static routes.

Again, what you want is a route that states:

- if it needs to go to 10.0.0.0, 255.255.255.0, send it to 192.168.1.2.

Now, one more thing...it may be possible that the Linksys interface may
ONLY allow connection from it's own subnet, but you'll be able to
enlighten me here :)

> Thanks again for all the help. tcpdump helped a lot.

No problem. I'm glad I could be of help.

Truly, what you are learning here is how the Internet as a whole works
(as far as routing is concerned). The only difference is that you are
playing with private IP address allocations, as opposed to public
addresses.

Steve