Swap space

Vladimir Tsvetkov npacemo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 07:13:15 PST 2005

> Hi,
>
> I just bought 4 servers with 4 gigs of ram, the documentation
> proposes to use 2 to 3 times the amount of ram for swap... I don't
> think 12 gigs of swap would be useful lol, but do I really need to
> put 4 gigs of ram. (It might be useful for kernel dump but...)
>
> What do you guys do with swap space in this scenario ?

It depends on how big is the address space for your machines.
32-bit machines can address 4GB of memory, so it's reasonable to use 2
or 3 times the amount of RAM space (if you hawe 256MB or 512MB - the
swap should be 768MB or 1GB), but if you have 32bit machines with 4GB
of memory there is no need to use more than 4GB for swap.
64-bit machines can address 2^64 bytes which is a very big address
space, so you should use the guidelines in the documentation (FreeBSD
Handbook).

Best regards,
Vladimir