running subversion as non-root

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Nov 1 04:41:49 PST 2005

On 2005-11-01 05:57, Cerion Armour-Brown <cerion at terpsichore.ws> wrote:
> Running subversion as root works fine, but under user 'svn' I get a load of
> permission problems, e.g.
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Cannot open "/usr/local/lib/apache2/libaprutil-0.so.9"
>
> I fixed this by adding svn to group wheel, but am not sure if this is 'the
> right way'.   Is there a standard solution to this?

What are the permissions of all the path components up to and
including the library that fails to load?

Something like this could print all the path components and their
permissions:

    ls -ld $(
        libpath='/usr/local/lib/apache2/libaprutil-0.so.9'
        while [ -n "${libpath}" ] && [ ! "${libpath_prev}" = "${libpath}" ]; do
            echo "${libpath}"
	    libpath_prev="${libpath}"
	    libpath=$(dirname "${libpath}")
        done )